This lesson describes the broad concept of cultural competency and how Citizen Scientists can ensure their perspectives are represented and respected in research studies. Some questions to consider while completing this lesson include:
- What beliefs, practices, or experiences have contributed to my own cultural background?
- Have I ever felt misunderstood because another person did not understand my culture?
- How can I work to identify my implicit biases?
- Define cultural competency
- Cite examples of cultural competency in health care
- Give an example of how a Citizen Scientist can ensure their culture, gender, race, or age group is respected in a research study
Presented By: Susan Horky
Instructions: After watching the video tutorial, complete the following practice assessment. Choose the best answer for each question, and check your response for immediate feedback.
What new skills have you developed through your role as a Citizen Scientist?
- Cultural Competency Resources
This handout highlights additional resources to aid in your journey toward becoming more culturally competent.