This lesson explains why we have an Institutional Review Board (IRB) and the events that took place that led to the development of the current research subject protections. Some questions to consider while completing this lesson include:
- What have been consequences to patients as a result of unethical research?
- Which groups are considered vulnerable populations?
- What is meant by conflict of interest and why does this matter in research?
- Discuss protections now in place to protect research participants
- Identify ethical principles that guide the conduct of human subjects research
- Discuss key aspects of research where ethical issues may arise
Presented By: Lauren Solberg
Instructions: After watching the video tutorial, complete the following practice assessment. Choose the best answer for each question, and check your response for immediate feedback.
What is your favorite project that you’ve worked on as a Citizen Scientist?
This report describes the ethical principles that researchers should abide by in all aspects of their work with human subjects.