Topics covered in this lesson include a breakdown of the components of a research article and how to understand what you’re reading. Some questions to consider while completing this lesson include:
- What is the point of a research article?
- What can reading a research article add to my expertise as a Citizen Scientist?
- In which section will the authors describe the limitations and next steps of the study?
- State the major sections of a research article
- Describe the key points of a research article
- Explain the purpose of the article’s abstract
Presented By: Vijay Vasudevan
Instructions: After watching the video tutorial, complete the following practice assessment. Choose the best answer for each question, and check your response for immediate feedback.
What advice would you give to new Citizen Scientists?
- Research Article: Questions to Consider
In this handout, the key questions for understanding a research article are identified. Knowing the answers to these questions will help ensure comprehension of the content.
- Vasudevan V. An Exploration of How People with Mobility Disabilities Rate Community Barriers to Physical Activity. (2016) Californian Journal of Health Promotion, 14(1), 37-43.
This handout is an example of a research article. The different sections of the article and main points to help answer the key questions are highlighted, key questions are answered in the margins, and main points of the article are noted in blue in the margins.